Thursday, December 16, 2010

Love Affair, Part IV

This is a short video I made from clips taken this summer, including the encounter with Ruffles mentioned in the last post.  I shot this with the video function on my Canon Powershot camera, which only takes 30 seconds of video at a time, so it may seem a bit choppy.  As you can see from the light in different segments, this video represents several different days and locations of shooting.

The first orcas in the video are members of L-pod, seen here in Haro Strait along the US-Canadian border.  Ruffles is shown closer to the west side of San Juan Island, also in Haro Strait.  A later sequence shows J-pod off of the "Coal Docks" at Tsawwassen, British Columbia, in the southern part of Georgia Strait.

Background music is "Song to the Siren" by This Mortal Coil, a longtime favorite of mine that seemed appropriate.  (Incidentally, the first time I ever heard it was during the reunion trip from the environmental studies camp mentioned in this post.)

I recommend watching the video in full-screen mode if it isn't too pixelated on your screen.  Especially during the Coal Docks sequence, you'll notice a lot more detail of the orca behavior, including spyhopping, tail lobbing, and breaches.



Looking over these last few posts I see a timeline more than the story I was really trying to tell, of the deep connection I feel with the SRKW and the many ways in which their lives have intersected with mine.  I guess that's part of the challenge of keeping a blog that isn't about being a mom while being a mom!  It has been very challenging, recently, to find the time and the right headspace to keep posting.  Headier stuff is on my mind for the next few posts, I hope I can do it justice.  Meantime, I think this video shows more what I feel about these animals than all the writing in the previous three posts on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment